Thursday, February 23, 2012

Strange Change

I often shop on our street either with the vegetable and fruit walas, or with the small convenience store 100 meters away that has almost anything I need. Sometimes I don't have the exact change, and so I might offer 20 Rs (41 cents) for a bag of vegetables that only costs 17 Rs. Most of the time instead of getting my 3 Rs. back, I get something else that counts as change. I've gotten lemons, grapes, coffee taffy, eclair candy and bubble gum as change. It's not only the tiny stores that give this weird change, but also stores like Cafe Coffee Day, the Indore version of Starbucks, sometimes just add things to your bill so that it comes out to the amount you gave.
Change is a big deal because so many people pay with cash. I have to be on my feet for what would make change better. If something costs 60 Rs. and I have 100 Rs. I know they will ask me if I have a 10 Rs. When I buy meals at a restaurant we always get 1 bill so I am getting better at my small math.
Here are some things I've gotten for change:

1 comment:

  1. Haha, China is the same way! I'm always trying to convince them to keep my change but it's like it's tainted, no one wants the scrap coins of a purchase. and for some reason the change bills are always dirtier than the bigger ones. ew. :)

    ReplyDelete