Many of you probably know that riding on the scootie is a love/hate relationship with me. Love- because it's such an adrenaline release, and I'm weaving through traffic and breaking all the traffic rules I want while the wind whips through my hair. Hate- because if I'm driving then I'm scared of killing my passenger, and if I'm riding then I can't know that my driver sees what terrifying upcoming disaster that I see. Also, don't look at these links on India's traffic fatalities.
These are the things I find frustrating about Indian traffic, specifically for a scootie.
1. No right-of-ways. Every time I come to an intersection, I can't figure out who has the right-of-way. Biggest street? Heaviest traffic? Whoever beeps first? Everyone is constantly beeping their horns to let the other drivers know where their vehicle is. So intersections work kind of like a foot-traffic intersection would at a mall or something- you just get out of people's way or make people get out of your way. A lot of "chicken."
2. Someone cutting you off is the rule, not the exception. I'm either swerving or slamming on the breaks constantly in traffic. No one looks to see if they are clear before they merge, they just go for it. I am constantly scanning the people around me so that they don't drift into my leg or cross in front of me. Not only do you have to be aware of all vehicles around you, but throw animals into the mix as well. The other day when I was riding with Amy, a cow almost gored me with his horns as he walked into the road just as we were passing. Fortunately, he only grazed my arm. Cows sure do a lot of grazing over here. ; )
3. So, watch the vehicles/animals on either side of you, and the people who are entering the intersection, but also try to figure out where you are going. This is hard especially in an old market area when all the shops kind of look the same. In a lot of ways, they ARE the same shop, just with different workers, because they are selling the exact same stuff.
4. And, throw into this mix the road conditions. Pay attention to traffic, vehicles around you, where you are going, AND the road. We swerve for giant bumps that could buck us off the scootie, stay clear of random holes, trash, sleeping animals, children playing, and ditches. The other day we lost control of the scootie because a groove in the middle of the road made us skid.
But, in all this fear I have of going out, I must be careful to not let my timidity take control of me. I have to drive the scootie, and all I can do is be alert and make wise decisions. I really appreciated this post from my friend Christy who lives in my city
No comments:
Post a Comment